Winter sends our hair crazy, from overly dry ends to crazy frizz it seams to really go through it. Couple that with the salons being closed (thanks covid) things can escalate pretty quickly. We thought it might be helpful to put together this little guide to stop your hair doing dry January.
We've complied our hero products and expert tips to help you establish good hair habits and emerge from lockdown with fabulously healthy hair!
WASHING YOUR HAIR
Establishing a good core haircare routine is essential to healthy manageable hair. For us the foundation of that hair care routine is your shampoo and conditioner. Investing in good products is a must. We always recommend sulphate and paraben free formulas to ensure your hair is perfectly hydrated and your hair colour is protected. Try to only wash your hair 2-3 time a week as over washing and removing all your hair natural oils can make hair dryer and frizzier.
Our go to shampoo's & conditioners for thirsty, stressed our hair are:
Incorporating a weekly treatment ritual for your hair will pay off in dividends. I treat this as a little self care time, a weekly bit of time out where I spend that extra 10 mins on moi! There are treatments for every hair concern you may have. We know it can be a minefield out there knowing which ones to choose and which are a giant waste of money. Thats why we have listed our top 3 for you!
1. Olaplex No.0 & No3 - Olaplex latest innovation the No.0 works in partnershop with the god send that is Olaplex No3. It primes their for deeper repair so you get 68% more repair and 3x stronger hair after just one treatment!
2. Redkens Blondage Express Anti-Brass Mask - This is a multi purpose little hero! not only does it neutralise brassy yellow tones but its ingredients; Wheat Protein, Amino Acids and Glycerine combine to deliver intensive moisture.
3. The Samantha Cusick London Custom Colour Olaplex No5 Mask - So meet our custom colour maintaining Olaplex No. 5 ! We've combined the hair repairing wizardly of Olaplex and our colour expertise to make maintaining and enhancing your colour easy AF. We mix them to your colour! meaning you can neutralise brassy tones. add more golden tones, enhance reds and deepen brunettes!
THE STYLING PRODUCTS
So you've got the shampoo and conditioner sorted, you've got a weekly treatment plan so now for the styling products that will perfect your healthy hair! I prefer a simple hair care routine for when may hair is feeling dehydrated and in need of the TLC so here are my favourite multi tasking products that hydrate, fight frizz and improve hair health!
1. OLAPLEX No 6 BOND SMOOTHER - A leave-in reparative styling creme eliminates frizz, hydrates & protects all hair types. This little bottle of goodness keeps hair frizz free for days! Its also speeds up drying time which is a bonus in winter! As its Olaplex it contains their patented ingredient the repairs hair within, its also amazing as a styling cream for curly hair!
2. DAVINES ALL IN ONE MILK - This is a spray in detangler, conditioner, heat protector and frizz fighter one of our all time favourite products any month of the year!
3. OLAPLEX No 7 BONDING OIL - Highly concentrated, ultra-lightweight, reparative styling oil dramatically increases shine, adds softness and strength, and enhances all hair types and textures. When used with any thermal styling appliance N°.7 provides heat protection up to 450°F/230°C. HAIR HACK* For the ultimate frizz free, soft glossy hair cocktail your Olaplex 6 & 7. Mix them together in your hands and apply to clean damp hair before styling! Apply more oil to dry hair for serious shine!
4. GHD ADVANCED SPLIT END THERAPY - activated by the heat of your styler to help nourish and fortify damaged ends, leaving your hair feeling sleek, smooth and shiny for up to 10 washes. a welcomed relief for us heat stylers!
DON'T LET YOUR HAIR AIR DRY
Don't let your hair 'dry naturally' its actually a myth that this is better for it than drying with your hair dryer. Your hair is weakest when its wet!
When hair gets wet, it swells and become weak! Your hair can absorb unto 30 times its own weight in water! This puts pressure on the the structure that keeps your hair intact, causing it to break. The longer your hair stays wet, the more the internal structure of the hair swells and cracks, causing damage to your hair! Instead gently dry your hair with your dryer on a medium heat setting holding the dryer at least 15cm from your hair!
If you really want to up your hair game then we recommend updating your hair dryer to the new GHD Helios dryer! Its amazing, literally every member of the SCL team brought one and is converted to its magical ways!
sleep in silk
Ok this may seem a little extra but we're ok with that! Get your self a silk pillow case or silk hair wrap to sleep in, this may seem a little extra but we're ok with that!
As silk has a naturally smooth texture It massively reduces the friction on our hair as we sleep, this mean less frizz, less tanging and less damage. It will also result in the need for less heat styling as sleeping in silk helps protect the style of your hair and will prolong the life of that blow out or those beach waves you spent 40 mins mastering AND if the alone hasn't convinced you, silk pillowcases are proven to have anti ageing benefits too!
I hope you find these tips to help stop your hair doing dry Jan helpful!!